The shifter tower is fiberglass and VERY near to the area I am going to be welding so I figured I should remove it first. Once I did I found a nice collection of seeds and hardware which might well have been there since 1967.
Enough procrastination. Time to weld the floor patch. Here is my first practice piece. It took me a while to work out the right settings and technique. The circled one is pretty good.
I have been procrastinating on welding over the holes in the Jeepster’s floorboards but today I had a day free and decided to go for it. Of course it was 90° out so it was a long hot day. Did I mention I don’t know much about metal work or welding?
So the transmission has been getting harder and harder to shift. I have found some metal in the oil so I assumed the transmission was slowly shredding itself. That might still be true but it occurred to me that I have never adjusted the clutch so why not start there?
When I got the Jeepster drivable I bought a little fire extinguisher and threw it in the back. Sometime in the last few months someone must have decided they needed it more than I did because it vanished. So I got another one. This one gets bolted down.
Saturday I decided to get the Jeep put back together. Splash apron looks like it has leprosy but at least is not rusting as fast.
I ordered new hardware for the bumper but first I have to get the splash apron cleaned up. First I went after the rust with a wire brush wheel and a flap disk
It was so warm tonight I decided to get some work done on the car. First thing was an oil change
It has been a long time since I did anything on the Jeepster. I have busy and it has been cold. Today was a really warm day but I only had a couple hours. But I got started anyway.
The convertible top has been getting worse and worse. At first it needed some help going up, now it will not go down without help. So I disconnected the cylinders thinking there was air in system. And I found this…