Working on both ends

IMG_20160716_093253

Rachael and I put the finishing touches on cleaning the gas tank area.  Most of it is in surprisingly good shape.  First we vacuumed the whole thing

IMG_20160716_093245

Side frame rail.  At this point we had cleaned the surface with naphtha and alcohol.

IMG_20160716_093237

Back end.  At this point Rachael went to work with a spray can of rust converter on all the rusty areas.  That will have to dry for at least two days.

IMG_20160716_081601

While she did that I started working on the power brake booster. I used a short bit of brake line and a plug to keep the fluid from running out of the master cylinder.

IMG_20160716_100119

The new booster bolted right up but is quite a bit deeper than the old one.

IMG_20160716_091328

To make up the difference the booster came with this little machined extension that goes in the end of the master cylinder.

IMG_20160716_091319

Here it is installed.

IMG_20160716_103558

I put the master cylinder on the booster and tweaked the brake lines to line up with the master cylinder.  I will have to do some bleeding again.

IMG_20160716_103538

There are a couple of problems.  The wiring for the brake light switch barely reaches.  I think it will be all right but if the wire pulls hard at all it will pull the connector right off of there

IMG_20160716_091054

The other problem is I did not adjust the booster rod length in any way.  I will have to make sure we have the right brake pedal free play.  If not I will have to unbolt the master cylinder (again) and adjust the rod.

It was well over 90 in the garage but I wanted to try tuning the engine again.

IMG_20160716_080148

Here I just adjusted the choke.  I also removed the idle mixture adjustment screws and flushed the holes out with carb cleaner.  The engine started right up but quickly starting starving for gas.  Nothing I did with the idle mixture helped and the accelerator pump does not seem to be working.  Just for giggles I static-timed the engine to make sure that was not the problem but it did not make any difference.  I think there is all kinds of crap floating around in there.  It is also possible the 30 year old rubber parts in there are reacting badly with our 10% ethanol gasoline.  Either way I think I need to take it apart and rebuild it.  But it was hotter than hell so we quit for the day.

 

One thought on “Working on both ends

  1. Thinkin I’m gonna stop searching for tips/tricks & just come here – in fact, I ought to just make your site my home page..!

    Just saying the work is awesome, on the JC & the site.

    Seriously speaking, can I make a very minor monetary donation for running the site. Kinda feels like stealing. I’m sure thankful as is a huge crowd of have to bet, JC or other.

    Thank you much

    Personally I’ve been dealing with optimal fuel line sizes and plumbing ideas/theories with really no great source for an area taken for granted, till now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.