Passenger side front brake

IMG_20160514_155435

I decided to do one wheel at a time on the brakes.  Since the backing plate, hoses, and everything else are a rusty mess  I decided to just remove everything.  There are 6 bolts on 3 lock plates that hold everything together.   Once I bent the tabs on the lock plates back I hit the bolts with an impact wrench.

IMG_20160514_161959

With the backing plate and brakes out of the way I next removed the hose.   The lower end is held on by two of the kingpin bolts.  Impact wrench time again!

IMG_20160514_162837

I had already removed the brake line from the upper end of the hose.  So all I had to do to get the hose out was remove this rusty-ass clip.  This is in pretty bad shape but might be salvageable.

IMG_20160514_162329

After cleaning around it to try and keep dirt out of the axle I popped the spindle off.  Here is the spindle and hardware.  The spindle looks to be in good shape and the bushing inside it does not seem badly worn.

IMG_20160514_165306

With the backing plate on the workbench this is the easiest brake job ever.  I carefully photographed each step as I took the brakes apart.  I am going to replace the cylinders and springs.  Hopefully the rest can be saved.

IMG_20160514_175327

Good thing I have new wheel cylinders.  This is pretty gross.  I could not get the piston to move at all.  I will try and get these apart later but for now they go in the discard pile.  Time for a massive parts-cleaning party.

IMG_20160514_190852

I got everything painted but the backing plate.  That will have to wait until next time though.  It is too cold to keep painting tonight.

IMG_20160514_192348

I also hit the frame where the brake hardware attaches with a wire brush.  When it gets a little warmer I will paint all this too.  But time to knock off for today.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.