I did a quick recon on the axles to see if I could ID them. From the shape I think they are Dana 30 axles. The front axle has some numbers stamped on it but they are badly rusted. The back is a little better. I found this stamped on the axle tube:
I have no idea what that means. I will have to research this and see. I kinda was hoping for a part number but that does match up.
I had most of the day today to work on the Jeepster and made very good progress. The first task was to figure out why the carburetor was flooding.
I got home from work and decided to try and get the engine started. First thing I need is a gas tank. Here is mine!
I decided to make it easier to get under the dash by removing the driver’s seat. Continue reading “Wiring problem resolved…”
So when I crawled under the dash the first thing I realized is that the wiring is a hot mess. Splices, odd connections, and in-line fuses everywhere. In fact this car does not have a fuse block at all. Everything is in-line or maybe not fused at all (cue sinister music here). This is going to be a serious task on the TODO list. Continue reading “A wiring problem, dammit.”
With the starter on the bench I cleaned the terminals and set up a test. Anyone who has worked on a GM car for about the last 70 years has probably seen a Delco starter. Battery voltage goes to the big terminal. When 12V is applied to the “S” terminal the solenoid engages and the motor runs.
The Jeepster has now officially arrived at its new home. A friend of my Dad’s with a big pickup truck and bigger trailer hauled it up.