Time to weld! Got to say I am really nervous about this. I practiced a little more on the bits I cut out of the floorboard.
Month: July 2019
While paint dried on the floor patch panels I started working on the seats. The passenger side seat bases are held on with these stupid Phillips-head screws. They look good from this side but the other end against the foam of the seat is badly rusted on all of them.
Driver’s side floorboard patch
I am still waiting on seam sealer before I weld in the passenger side floorboard so I decided to start on the driver’s side. This is actually a lot worse than the passenger’s side. There is still some solid steel between the holes but putting two patches in seems like more work than just doing one big patch. As before I started with locating lines. I also crawled under the car and relocated the clutch cable, fuel lines, and brake lines away from the patch area.
The shifter tower is fiberglass and VERY near to the area I am going to be welding so I figured I should remove it first. Once I did I found a nice collection of seeds and hardware which might well have been there since 1967.
First welds on the floor patch
Enough procrastination. Time to weld the floor patch. Here is my first practice piece. It took me a while to work out the right settings and technique. The circled one is pretty good.