I am determined to get the Jeepster running tonight. First some pics of the floorboard patches from underneath. I put that cable tie in there before I put the seam sealer on so I would have a place to tie the fuel lines to. The factory brace had a metal tab spot-welded on there and I forgot to do that before I painted everything.
I really should fix the rear floorboard before I put this all back together. But it was brutally hot welding in the summer and the car has been out of commission for more than a month. So I will put it back together and finish patching this fall when it is cooler.
Continuing on with the floorboards I started grinding down the welds. I started off using a grinding wheel in the angle grinder but had better luck with a flap disk.
Time to weld! Got to say I am really nervous about this. I practiced a little more on the bits I cut out of the floorboard.
I am still waiting on seam sealer before I weld in the passenger side floorboard so I decided to start on the driver’s side. This is actually a lot worse than the passenger’s side. There is still some solid steel between the holes but putting two patches in seems like more work than just doing one big patch. As before I started with locating lines. I also crawled under the car and relocated the clutch cable, fuel lines, and brake lines away from the patch area.