Wired the top up

vt_20160929_185226

I picked up some more shrink tube and finished up the harness.  Time to put this in.

vt_20160929_190240

This white wire is from the accessory side of the ignition switch.  It was going directly to the turn signal flasher.  I cut that spade connector off and attached another wire.  This will feed power to top switch.

vt_20160929_190346

Like this.  The two outputs of the switch are now connected to the relay coils.  I did not get a picture of it but I also ran the red power supply wire you can see down on the floor back to the main circuit breaker.

vt_20160929_191227

I was looking for a place to ground the relays.  I found two other ground wires under the screw that was holding this thing up under the dash.  I have no idea what the hell this is.  So I am going to take it off.

vt_20160929_192232

Here is the screw.  I cleaned it up and found another nut.  My plan is to put the screw and one nut in the hole and tighten it up.  Then I will use the other nut to bolt the grounds on the exposed end of the screw.

vt_20160929_190717

You can see the screw head off to the left near the red wires.  The switch is in place.  If I hooked it up right pulling the switch towards the driver will lower the top.  Let’s test it!

vt_20160929_194742

Well, I at least tested the fuse.  It worked.  So here is what happened.  I thought I would be clever and test the relays without hooking up the motor.  I hooked my multimeter to one of the relay outputs and made sure they were not touching anything.  I hooked up the battery and no smoke.  Then I flipped the switch and heard a relay click.  Then I flipped the switch the other way and heard the circuit breaker buzz.  The wire moved and shorted out.  Stupid.

vt_20160929_195502

After changing the fuse I did what I should have done before and hooked up the pump motor to the relays.  Success!

All is not perfect.  The top still will not go up by itself, I think there still might be some air in the lines.  I also need to check for dirty connectors in the existing wiring.  Lubricating the top might help as well.

I think I can safely say that the wiring in the car is just messy rather than dangerous.  Since it was messy when it left the factory that is a real win.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.